Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/220389
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- On the probability of occurrence of rogue waves
- Bitner-Gregersen, E. M.; Toffoli, A.
- A number of extreme and rogue wave studies have been conducted theoretically, numerically, experimentally and based on field data in the last years, which have significantly advanced our knowledge of ocean waves. So far, however, consensus on the probability of occurrence of rogue waves has not been achieved. The present investigation is addressing this topic from the perspective of design needs. Probability of occurrence of extreme and rogue wave crests in deep water is here discussed based on higher order time simulations, experiments and hindcast data. Focus is given to occurrence of rogue waves in high sea states.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, Vol. 12, no. 3 (2012), pp. 751-762
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0403 Geology; 0406 Physical Geography and Environmental Geoscience
- Extreme values; Extreme waves; Ocean waves; Probability; Rogue waves
- Copernicus Publications
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Author(s) 2012. This work is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Published version reproduced here in accordance with this policy.
- Research Projects
Oceanic conditions within extreme tropical cyclones, Australian Research Council grant number LP0883888
- Full text
- Peer reviewed