Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles 'Finding voice': Learnings and insights from a participatory media project with recently arrived Afghan young men with refugee backgrounds
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/222809
- 'Finding voice': Learnings and insights from a participatory media project with recently arrived Afghan young men with refugee backgrounds
- Rodriguez-Jimenez, Anthony; Gifford, Sandra M.
- Participatory media approaches were used as a strategy to provide space for youth with refugee backgrounds to narrate their early settlement experiences. The paper describes the challenges of participatory media approaches as both a research tool and as a strategy. The key learning was that giving freedom for voices also requires giving structure - freedom and structure go hand in hand in creating spaces for exploring and expressing early settlement experiences.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Youth Studies Australia, Vol. 29, no. 2 (2010), pp. 33-41
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 16 Studies in Human Society
- Afghanistan; Art; Australia; Refugees; Services for refugees; Social conditions; Youth
- Australian Clearinghouse for Youth Studies
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010.
- Peer reviewed