Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/224592
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Citations to Australian astronomy: 5 and 10 year benchmarks
- Kenyon, Katherine H.; Paramasivam, Arjun; Tu, Jiachin; Zhang, Albert; Graham, Alister W.
- Expanding upon Pimbblet's informative 2011 analysis of career h-indices for members of the Astronomical Society of Australia, we provide additional citation metrics which are geared to a) quantifying the current performance of b) all professional astronomers in Australia. We have trawled the staff web-pages of Australian Universities, Observatories and Research Organisations hosting professional astronomers, and identified 383 PhD-qualified, research-active, astronomers in the nation---131 of these are not members of the Astronomical Society of Australia. Using the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System, we provide the three following common metrics based on publications in the first decade of the 21st century (2001 to 2010): h-index, author-normalised citation count and lead-author citation count. We additionally present a somewhat more inclusive analysis, applicable for many early-career researchers, that is based on publications from 2006 to 2010 inclusive. Histograms and percentiles, plus top-performer lists, are presented for each category. Finally, building on Spruit's recent work, we find that the (10-year) h-index and total citation count T can be approximated by the relation h = (0.5 + √T)/√5 for h >~ 7.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, Vol. 29, no. 2 (2012), pp. 132-140
- Publication year
- CSIRO Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Astronomical Society of Australia 2012. The accepted manuscript is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.