Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/225411
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Positron scattering from chiral enantiomers
- Chiari, L.; Zecca, A.; Girardi, S.; Defant, A.; Wang, Feng; Ma, X. G.; Perkins, M. V.; Brunger, M. J.
- We report on total cross section measurements for positron scattering from the chiral enantiomers (+)-methyl (R)-2-chloropropionate and (–)-methyl (S)-2-chloropropionate. The energy range of the present study was 0.1–50 eV, while the energy resolution of our incident positron beam was ∼0.25 eV (FWHM). As positrons emanating from β decay in radioactive nuclei have a high degree of spin polarization, which persists after moderation, we were particularly interested in probing whether the positron helicity differentiates between the measured total cross sections of the two enantiomers. No major differences were, however, observed. Finally, quantum chemical calculations, using the density functional theory based B3LYP-DGTZVP model within the gaussian 09 package, were performed as a part of this work in order to assist us in interpreting some aspects of our data.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 85, no. 5 (May 2012), article no. 052711
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences
- Chiral enantiomers; Positron scattering
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 American Physical Society. The published version is reproduced with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed