Home List of Titles Beyond reach: adapted from a report to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship on a visit to Christmas Island, 6-20 April 2010
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/225774
- Beyond reach: adapted from a report to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship on a visit to Christmas Island, 6-20 April 2010
- Briskman, Linda; Fiske, Lucy; Dimasi, Michelle
- This report focuses on selective issues that we brought to the attention of the Minister. These are by no means exhaustive but are those that were the most visible during the two week time period and which fall within the realm of our expertise and knowledge. Detailed information on other concerns that have been raised about Christmas Island detention, such as mental health and legal issues, are not explored in depth here as we believe they are best dealt with by professionals in those areas of expertise. Specific case issues that we encountered in detention have been taken up by us with DIAC and we have received responses to our queries. The issues discussed in this report are: Accommodation, Recreation, Communications, Health Services, Written Requests, Use of Detainee Numbers, Attitudes to Detainees and Security Clearances. Recommendations arising from these issues are presented on pages 10 and 11.
- Publication type
- Publication year
- Asylum seekers; Christmas Island; Detainees; Detention centres; Government; Human rights; Immigration detention
- Asylum Seekers Christmas Island and Curtin University
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010.