Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles The phase behavior of charged colloidal systems in the mean spherical approximation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/228367
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- The phase behavior of charged colloidal systems in the mean spherical approximation
- Petris, Simon N.; Chan, Derek Y. C.
- The mean spherical approximation (MSA) was used to investigate the phase behavior of charged colloidal systems with and without added salt. The competition between cohesive Coulomb interactions and stabilizing entropic and hard-core interactions controls the stability of the system and under certain circumstances, a liquid-gas-type phase transition can occur. The critical parameters and phase diagrams in the MSA obtained via the internal energy path, are compared with two-component Monte Carlo simulations and other theoretical approaches.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 116, no. 19 (May 2002), pp. 8588-8595
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Charged colloidal systems; Mean spherical approximation; Phase behaviour
- American Institute of Physics
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2002 American Institute of Physics. The published version is reproduced with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from the Australian Research Council.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed