Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Cognitive mapping for information requirements determination in the learning organisation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/229143
- Cognitive mapping for information requirements determination in the learning organisation
- McKay, Judy; Marshall, Peter; McDermid, Donald
- In the face of the turbulence and rapid change that characterise contemporary business environments the relevance of traditional management practices and ways of organising is being questioned. It is often argued that a fundamental rethinking of the ways in which organisations operate is required if they are to be successful in these challenging times and to continue to prosper into the future. The learning organisation, one that deliberately pursues strategies aimed at fostering learning amongst its members, is argued to be better equipped 10 handle uncertainty, complexity, and changing environments. However, creating and sustaining a learning environment poses a number of challenges for organisational members. This is particularly the case for the information systems professional, as the provision of information in the learning organisation assumes even greater importance. In addition. there is the challenge of using information systems development (ISD) methodologies that support and enhance the ethos of the learning organisation. As information requirements determination (IRD) is arguably the most critical stage of ISD in terms of capturing the direction and intent of the information system under development, new, creative approaches to IRD are needed. One such candidate methodology, the SODA methodology and its accompanying technique, cognitive mapping, are described and promoted as appropriate for supporting IRD. In particular, those features which render them particularly appropriate for application to IRD in the learning organisation are considered.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the Second European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 1994), Breukelen, Netherlands, 30-31 May 1994 / W. Baets (ed.), pp. 759-770
- Publication year
- Cognitive mapping; Information requirements determination; Learning organisation
- Nijenrode University Press
- 9789073314245, 9073314240
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © ECIS Standing Committee.
- Peer reviewed