Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/229457
- Arecibo survey of HI emission from disk galaxies at redshift z ~ 0.2
- Catinella, B.; Haynes, M. P.; Gardner, J. P.; Connolly, A. J.; Giovanelli, R.
- We present results from a targeted survey undertaken with the 305m Arecibo radiotelescope to detect HI-line emission from disk galaxies at redshift z>0.16. Among other applications, this dataset will be used to study the evolution of disk scaling relations at intermediate redshifts. Compared to optical velocity widths, HI measurements sample a larger fraction of the disks, where the rotation curves are typically flat, and are not affected by slit smearing and misalignment or by aperture effects. Thus, in contrast to studies based on optical spectroscopy, this dataset allows for a direct comparison with the local Tully-Fisher relation that is technique independent.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union: Proceedings of 'Dark galaxies and lost baryons', the the International Astronomical Union Symposium S244, Cardiff, Wales, 25-29 June 2007 / Jonathan I. Davies and Michael J. Disney (eds.), Vol. 3, pp. 348-349
- Publication year
- Galaxy kinematics and dynamics; Radio lines
- Cambridge University Press
- 1743-9213 (series ISSN)
- 9780521874663, 0521874661
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 International Astronomical Union.