Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Thermomagnetic convective flows in a vertical layer of ferrocolloid: perturbation energy analysis and experimental study
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/230020
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Thermomagnetic convective flows in a vertical layer of ferrocolloid: perturbation energy analysis and experimental study
- Suslov, Sergey A.; Bozhko, Alexandra A.; Sidorov, Alexander S.; Putin, Gennady F.
- Flow patterns arising in a vertical differentially heated layer of nonconducting ferromagnetic fluid placed in an external uniform transverse magnetic field are studied experimentally and discussed from the point of view of the perturbation energy balance. A quantitative criterion for detecting the parametric point where the dominant role in generating a flow instability is transferred between the thermogravitational and thermomagnetic mechanisms is suggested, based on the disturbance energy balance analysis. A comprehensive experimental study of various flow patterns is undertaken, and the existence is demonstrated of oblique thermomagnetic waves theoretically predicted by Suslov and superposed onto the stationary magnetoconvective pattern known previously. It is found that the wave number of the detected convection patterns depends sensitively on the temperature difference across the layer and on the applied magnetic field. In unsteady regimes its value varies periodically by a factor of almost 2, indicating the appearance of two different competing wave modes. The wave numbers and spatial orientation of the observed dominant flow patterns are found to be in good agreement with theoretical predictions.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Physical Review E: Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, Vol. 86, no. 1 (Jul 2012), article no. 016301
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Ferrocolloid; Magnetoconvective flows; Perturbation energy; Thermomagnetic waves
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 American Physical Society. The published version is reproduced with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed