Home List of Titles Virial relations for ultracold trapped Fermi gases with finite range interactions through the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer Bose-Einstein-condensate crossover
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/230876
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 578 KB)|
- Virial relations for ultracold trapped Fermi gases with finite range interactions through the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer Bose-Einstein-condensate crossover
- Rosales-Zarate, L. E. C.; Jauregui, R.
- We study the virial relations for ultracold trapped two-component Fermi gases in the case of short finite range interactions. Numerical verifications for such relations are reported through the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer (BCS) Bose-Einstein-condensate (BEC) crossover. As an intermediate step, it is necessary to evaluate the partial derivatives of the many-body energy with respect to the inverse of the scattering length and with respect to the interaction range. Once the binding energy of the formed molecules in the BEC side is subtracted, the corresponding energy derivatives are found to have extreme values at the unitary limit. The value of the derivative with respect to the potential range in that limit is large enough to yield measurable differences between the total energy and twice the trapping energy unless the interacting system is described by extremely short potential ranges. The virial results are used to check the quality of the variational wavefunction involved in the calculations.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- New Journal of Physics, Vol. 12, no. (Apr 2010), article no. 043033
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences
- Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer; Binding energy; Bose-Einstein-condensate; Electron gas; Energy derivatives; Extreme value; Fermi gas; Fermions; Interacting system; Interaction ranges; Many-body; Numerical verification; Partial derivatives; Potential range; Scattering length; Statistical mechanics; Total energy; Trapped fermi gas; Trapping energy; Two-component; Ultra-cold; Unitary limits
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © IOP Publishing Ltd and Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike 3.0 licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/).
- Full text
- Peer reviewed