Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles First measurement of backscatter dependence on ion acoustic damping in a high density helium/hydrogen laser-plasma
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/231607
- First measurement of backscatter dependence on ion acoustic damping in a high density helium/hydrogen laser-plasma
- Moody, J. D.; Williams, E. A.; Lours, L.; Sanchez, J. J.; Berger, R. L.; Collins, G. A.; Decker, C. B.; Divol, L.; Glenzer, S. H.; Hammel, B. A.; Jones, R.; Kirkwood, R. K.; Kruer, W. L.; MacGowan, B. J.; Pipes, J.; Suter, L. J.; Thoe, R.; Unites, W.; Young, P. E.
- The dependence of stimulated backward and forward scattered light was measured for the first time on ion acoustic damping in a low scale length He/H ₂ composition plasma. It was observed that both the stimulated Raman and Brillouin backscattering decreased with increased ion acoustic damping. The higher ion acoustic damping in a He/H ₂ plasma effect stimulated Raman backscattering (SRS) indirectly by determining the saturation level of the Langmuir waves (LW) involved in SRS. The results show that while the simulations show that the majority of scattered light comes from the plateau region, the measured SRS power is nearly equally divided between the scattered light originating in the plateau and in the blast wave.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 11, no. 5, part 1 (May 2004), pp. 2060-2067
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences; 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0203 Classical Physics
- Acoustic wave backscattering; Damping; Gain control; Ion acoustic damping; Laser beam effects; Laser produced plasmas; Laser-plasma instabilities; LPI; Measurement theory; Plasma density; Raman scattering; SRS; Stimulated Raman backscattering; Turbulence
- American Institute of Physics
- Copyright © 2004 American Institute of Physics.
- Peer reviewed