Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/231665
- Theory of MHD waves
- Appert, K.; Collins, G. A.; Hellsten, T.; Vaclavik, J.; Villard, L.
- Reviews recent developments in the theory of MHD waves in connection with radio-frequency heating in the Alfven wave and ion cyclotron ranges of frequencies (AWRF, ICRF). The account focuses on the discussion of full wave solutions and the oscillation spectra in bounded, generally inhomogeneous, plasmas. Original results are presented concerning forced ICRF oscillations in a current-carrying torus. The effects on the wave structures of the equilibrium current, the size of the device, the minority concentration and the phenomenological damping are investigated. The resonant surfaces coincide with the magnetic surfaces as in the AWRF. The poloidal extension of the resonance is small in cases where a WKB approach is permitted so that there is no conflict between full wave solutions and the WKB method.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Vol. 28, no. 1A (Jan 1986), pp. 133-145
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics
- Alfven wave heating; Cylindrical geometry; Excitation of waves; Ion cyclotron heating; Magnetoacoustic waves; MHD waves; Resonance absorption; Toroidal geometry
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 IOP Publishing.
- Peer reviewed