Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Backcalculation of resilient modulus of lightly stabilised granular base materials from a cyclic load testing facility
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/232289
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 801 KB)|
- Backcalculation of resilient modulus of lightly stabilised granular base materials from a cyclic load testing facility
- Piratheepan, J.; Gnanendran, C. T.
- Resilient moduli of pavement layers are the basic input parameters for the design of pavements with multilayers in the current mechanistic-empirical pavement design guides. Field measurements are generally believed to provide accurate values to backcalculate pavement layer moduli, but the tests to measure the relevant parameters are difficult to perform, expensive and causes disturbance to the public. Therefore, backcalculation of pavement layer moduli from laboratory scale model testing has been a focus of recent pavement research. This paper presents a backcalculation analysis to evaluate pavement layer moduli using a 3D numerical model developed using the FLAC3D finite difference software. The pertinent measurements that are required for the backcalculation analysis were collected from a cyclic load testing facility under traffic type cyclic loading conditions with a typical pavement structure consisting of a granular road base lightly stabilised with cement-flyash over an expansive soft clay subgrade. This study indicates that the stabilised base material had cross-anisotropic resilient properties with an average vertical resilient modulus of 2875 MPa and an average horizontal resilient modulus of 1598 MPa. From this investigation, the resilient moduli of the stabilized granular base layer and subgrade clay were backcalculated reliably from the analysis using FLAC3D numerical model.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 25, no. 8 (Aug 2013), pp. 1068-1076
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0905 Civil Engineering; 0912 Materials Engineering
- Backcalculation; Cyclic loading; Numerical model; Pavement model testing; Resilient moduli; Stabilised granular materials
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 American Society of Civil Engineers. The accepted manuscript is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed