Home List of Titles 16S rRNA analysis of isolates obtained from Gram-negative, filamentous bacteria micromanipulated from activated sludge
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/232406
- 16S rRNA analysis of isolates obtained from Gram-negative, filamentous bacteria micromanipulated from activated sludge
- Bradford, Debbie; Hugenholtz, Philip; Seviour, Elizabeth M.; Cunningham, Mitchell A.; Stratton, Helen; Seviour, Robert J.; Blackall, Linda L.
- Individual filaments of the Gram negative, bulking filamentous morphotypes Eikelboom Type 0092, Type 0411, Type 0803 and Herpetosiphon sp. were identified in activated sludge mixed liquors and specifically isolated by micromanipulation. Although their isolation and partial phenotypic description have previously been reported, we sought them to determine their phylogenetic position and to compare our data with the previous descriptions. Direct cell lysis procedures and the polymerase chain reaction were used to obtain their 16S rRNA genes. These were sequenced and the data were analysed to phylogenetically place the filaments into their respective lines of descent in the domain Bacteria. Type 0803 is a member of the Rubrivivax subgroup of the beta proteobacterial subclass; Herpetosiphon sp. belongs in the Chloroflexus subdivision of the green non-sulfur lineage and its sequence is most similar to that of N. aurantiacus; while Type 0092 and Type 0411 belong in the Flexibacter-Cytophaga-Bacteroides phylum. The contemporary 'identification' of these organisms is ambiguous and relies on subjective morphological criteria and staining reactions. However, the sequence data reported here are being examined for morphotype-specific regions to be exploited for RNA-directed, DNA probes for rapid, unequivocal, in situ identification of each filament type.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Systematic and Applied Microbiology, Vol. 19, no. 3 (Oct 1996), pp. 334-343
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0603 Evolutionary Biology; 0605 Microbiology
- Activated sludge; Bacterium isolation; Bulking; Cytolysis; Gram negative filaments; Phylogeny; Polymerase chain reaction; RNA 16s
- Urban und Fischer Verlag
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1996 Gustav Fischer Verlag.
- Peer reviewed