Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/232838
- Micro hydro potential in Sarawak: the case of Bakelalan
- Kuok, K. K.; Wee Hun Gan, S.; Chan, C. P.
- A report is presented on the successful implementation of micro hydropower in Bakelalan at minimal cost. An assessment of the hydro potential in Sarawak was carried out, as the State Government aims to turn Sarawak into powerhouse for the integrated ASEAN power grid. Various small renewable energy sources were considered for remote rural areas to achieve the State Government's target of 95 per cent electricity supply for all citizens in Sarawak by 2012. Micro hydropower was found to be the most suitable for Bakelalan among the various renewable energy sources. The Ministry of Rural Development approved a budget of RM 600,000 ($ 200 000) in 2009 for implementing a micro hydropower project at Bakelalan. This project was implemented by Public Works Department Sarawak (PWDS) and completed in 2010.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- International Journal on Hydropower and Dams, Vol. 19, no. 2 (2012), pp. 80-84
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0905 Civil Engineering
- Bakelalan; Micro hydropower; Renewable energy sources; Sarawak
- Hydropower and Dams, Aqua-Media International
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012.
- Peer reviewed