Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Excited state coherent dynamics in light-harvesting complexes from photosynthetic marine algae
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/232934
- Excited state coherent dynamics in light-harvesting complexes from photosynthetic marine algae
- Richards, G. H.; Wilk, K. E.; Curmi, P. M. G.; Quiney, H. M.; Davis, J. A.
- We explore coherence dynamics in light-harvesting complexes and their interactions with other electronic states and vibrational modes. This is achieved by utilizing a two-colour four-wave mixing spectroscopy to excite and analyse a specific coherence pathway in the phycocyanin-645 (PC645) light-harvesting complex. We observe the dephasing rate increase as a function of temperature and oscillations in the signal intensity as a function of waiting time which reveals coherent excitation of pathways not directly resonant with the laser pulses. This coherent excitation of non-resonant electronic states implies strong coupling to phonon modes, which is necessary if coherent energy transfer between non-resonant states is to play any role in photosynthetic energy transfer.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Vol. 45, no. 15 (Aug 2012), article no. 154015
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0205 Optical Physics; 0307 Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
- Coherence dynamics; Coherent excitations; Excited states; Light-harvesting complexes; Marine algae; Photosynthetic energy transfer
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from the Australian Research Council.
- Peer reviewed