Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Dynamical preparation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen entanglement in two-well Bose-Einstein condensates
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/233624
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 982 KB)|
- Dynamical preparation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen entanglement in two-well Bose-Einstein condensates
- Opanchuk, B.; He, Q. Y.; Reid, M. D.; Drummond, P. D.
- We propose to generate Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) entanglement between groups of atoms in a two-well Bose-Einstein condensate using a dynamical process similar to that employed in quantum optics. A local nonlinear S-wave scattering interaction has the effect of creating spin squeezing at each well, while a tunneling coupling, analogous to a beam splitter in optics, introduces an interference between these fields that causes interwell entanglement. We consider two internal modes at each well so that the entanglement can be detected by measuring a reduction in the variances of the sums of local Schwinger spin observables. As is typical of continuous variable (CV) entanglement, the entanglement is predicted to increase with atom number. It becomes sufficiently strong at higher numbers of atoms so that the EPR paradox and steering nonlocality can be realized. The entanglement is predicted using an analytical approach and, for larger atom numbers, using stochastic simulations based on a truncated Wigner function approximation. We find generally that strong tunneling is favorable, and that entanglement persists and is even enhanced in the presence of realistic nonlinear losses.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 86, no. 2 (Aug 2012), article no. 023625
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences
- Bose-Einstein condensates; Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen entanglement; EPR
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 American Physical Society. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Additional information
- Supported by the Australian Research Council.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed