Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles New solar twins and the metallicity and temperature scales of the Geneva-Copenhagen Survey
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/235936
- New solar twins and the metallicity and temperature scales of the Geneva-Copenhagen Survey
- Datson, Juliet; Flynn, Chris; Portinari, Laura
- We search for 'solar twins' in the Geneva-Copenhagen Survey (GCS) using high-resolution optical spectroscopy. We initially select Sun-like stars from the GCS by absolute magnitude, (b - y) colour and metallicity close to the solar values. Our aim is to find the stars which are spectroscopically very close to the Sun using line depth ratios and the median equivalent widths and depths of selected lines with a range of excitation potentials. We present the 10 best stars fulfilling combined photometric and spectroscopic criteria, of which six are new twins. We use our full sample of Sun-like stars to examine the calibration of the metallicity and temperature scale in the GCS. Our results give rise to the conclusion that the GCS may be offset from the solar temperature and metallicity for Sun-like stars by 100K and 0.1dex, respectively.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 426, no. 1 (Oct 2012), pp. 484-495
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Abundances; Fundamental parameters; Geneva-Copenhagen Survey; Metallicity; Solar analogues; Solar twins; Solar-type stars; Stars; Sun; Temperature
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 The Authors. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society copyright © 2012 RAS.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from the Academy of Finland (grant nos 30951 and 218317) and the Beckwith Trust.
- Peer reviewed