Search Swinburne Research Bank
This object has not yet been indexed by the background indexing service.
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/237176
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 2 MB)|
- At home on the outstation: barriers to home internet in remote Indigenous communities
- Rennie, Ellie; Crouch, Andrew; Wright, Alyson; Thomas, Julian
- Indigenous Australians living in remote areas have little access to the internet and make little use of it. This article investigates the various dimensions of internet take-‐up in remote Indigenous communities in Australia and considers the implications for broadband policy. It focuses specifically on the circumstances and experiences of three remote Indigenous communities in central Australia. Residents in these communities provided significant insight into the social, economic and cultural aspects of communications access and use. This evidence is used to examine the drivers and barriers to home internet for remote Indigenous communities and to discuss a complex set of issues, including: the dynamics of remote living, economic priorities, cultural engagement with technology, and the characteristics of domestic life in remote Indigenous communities.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences. The Swinburne Institute for Social Research
- Telecommunications Policy, Vol. 37, no. 6-7 (Jul-Aug 2013), pp. 583–593
- Publication year
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Elsevier Ltd. This is the author's version of a work accepted for publication by Elsevier. Changes resulting from the publishing process, including peer review, editing, corrections, structural formatting and other quality control mechanisms, may not be reflected in this document. Changes may have been made to this work since it was submitted for publication. The definitive version has been published in Telecommunications Policy, 37(6/7), 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2012.07.007.