Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles The High Time Resolution Universe Pulsar Survey VI: an artificial neural network and timing of 75 pulsars
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/239994
- The High Time Resolution Universe Pulsar Survey VI: an artificial neural network and timing of 75 pulsars
- Bates, S. D.; Bailes, M.; Barsdell, B. R.; Bhat, N. D. R.; Burgay, M.; Burke-Spolaor, S.; Champion, D. J.; Coster, P.; D'Amico, N.; Jameson, A.; Johnston, S.; Keith, M. J.; Kramer, M.; Levin, L.; Lyne, A.; Milia, S.; Ng, C.; Nietner, C.; Possenti, A.; Stappers, B.; Thornton, D.; van Straten, W.
- We present 75 pulsars discovered in the mid-latitude portion of the High Time Resolution Universe survey, 54 of which have full timing solutions. All the pulsars have spin periods greater than 100ms, and none of those with timing solutions is in binaries. Two display particularly interesting behaviour; PSR J1054-5944 is found to be an intermittent pulsar, and PSR J1809-0119 has glitched twice since its discovery. In the second half of the paper we discuss the development and application of an artificial neural network in the data-processing pipeline for the survey. We discuss the tests that were used to generate scores and find that our neural network was able to reject over 99per cent of the candidates produced in the data processing, and able to blindly detect 85per cent of pulsars. We suggest that improvements to the accuracy should be possible if further care is taken when training an artificial neural network; for example, ensuring that a representative sample of the pulsar population is used during the training process, or the use of different artificial neural networks for the detection of different types of pulsars.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 427, no. 2 (Dec 2012), pp. 1052-1065
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Neutron stars; Pulsars
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012 The Authors. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society copyright © 2012 RAS.
- Peer reviewed