Home List of Titles The acute effects of L-theanine in comparison with alprazolam on anticipatory anxiety in humans
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/312
- The acute effects of L-theanine in comparison with alprazolam on anticipatory anxiety in humans
- Liu, Kirsty; Gray, Marcus A.; Oliver, Chris; Liley, David T. J.; Harrison, Ben J.; Bartholomeusz, Cali F.; Phan, K. Luan; Nathan, Pradeep J.
- L-Theanine (-glutamylethylamide) is one of the predominant amino acids ordinarily found in green tea, and historically has been used as a relaxing agent. The current study examined the acute effects of L-theanine in comparison with a standard benzodiazepine anxiolytic, alprazolam and placebo on behavioural measures of anxiety in healthy human subjects using the model of anticipatory anxiety (AA). Sixteen healthy volunteers received alprazolam (1 mg), L-theanine (200 mg) or placebo in a double-blind placebo-controlled repeated measures design. The acute effects of alprazolam and L-theanine were assessed under a relaxed and experimentally induced anxiety condition. Subjective self-reports of anxiety including BAI, VAMS, STAI state anxiety, were obtained during both task conditions at pre- and post-drug administrations. The results showed some evidence for relaxing effects of L-theanine during the baseline condition on the tranquil-troubled subscale of the VAMS. Alprazolam did not exert any anxiolytic effects in comparison with the placebo on any of the measures during the relaxed state. Neither L-theanine nor alprazalam had any significant anxiolytic effects during the experimentally induced anxiety state. The findings suggest that while L-theanine may have some relaxing effects under resting conditions, neither L-theanine not alprazolam demonstrate any acute anxiolytic effects under conditions of increased anxiety in the AA model.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Brain Sciences Institute
- Human Psychopharmacology : Clinical and Experimental, Vol. 19, no. 7 (2004), pp. 457-465
- Publication year
- L-theanine; Alprazolam; Anticipatory anxiety; Anxiety; GABA; Anxiolytic; Anxiety models; Benzodiazepine
- John Wiley and Sons
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Publisher does not officially support author/institution self-archiving of either the postprint (final, revised accepted draft) or published version of full text.
- Peer reviewed