Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/3697
- Effective visualisation of workflow enactment
- Yang, Yun; Lai, Wei; Shen, Jun; Huang, Xiaodi; Yan, Jun; Setiawan, Lukman
- Although most existing teamwork management systems support user-friendly interface to some extent, few of them have take into consideration of the special requirements of workflow visualisation. This paper realises the unique features of visualisation for run-time workflow, i.e., workflow enactment and execution. We present a detailed discussion of the emerging problems against the general aesthetic criteria for drawing the workflow layout. In order to support most essential workflow enactment facilities, the following three mechanisms are provided. Firstly, Sugiyama algorithm has been systematically incorporated into our prototype to create well structured workflow layout initially. Secondly, when the workflow process dynamically changes, we can adjust workflow layout by our force-scan algorithm to retain the mental maps created earlier among team members. Thirdly, we have also applied the technique of the fisheye view to offer a context focus mechanism for workflow users and to utilise the screen size more effectively. With these visualisation techniques, a better atmosphere may be facilitated for teamwork.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
- Lecture notes in computer science: proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Web Conference on Advanced Web Technologies and Applications (APWeb 2004), Hangzhou, China, 14-17 April 2004 / J. XuYu, X. Lin, H. Lu and Y. Zhang (eds.), Vol. 3007 (2004), pp. 794-803
- Publication year
- Springer-Verlag Berlin
- 9783540213710, 3540213716
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Peer reviewed