Home List of Titles Arenibacter gen. nov., new genus of the family Flavobacteriaceae and description of a new species, Arenibacter latericius sp. nov
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/5088
- Arenibacter gen. nov., new genus of the family Flavobacteriaceae and description of a new species, Arenibacter latericius sp. nov
- Ivanova, Elena P.; Nedashkovskaya, Olga I.; Chun, Jongsik; Lysenko, Anatoly M.; Frolova, Galina M.; Svetashev, Vassilii I.; Vysotskii, Mikhail V.; Mikhailov, Valery V.; Huq, Anwarul; Colwell, Rita R.
- Five dark-orange-pigmented, Gram-negative, rod-shaped, non-motile, aerobic bacterial strains were isolated from sandy sediment samples collected in the South China Sea in the Indian Ocean, from a holothurian, Apostichopus japonicus, in the Sea of Japan and from a brown alga, Chorda filum, from the Sea of Okhotsk in the Pacific Ocean. Phenotypic data were collected, demonstrating that the bacteria are chemo-organotrophic and require seawater-based media for growth. Polar lipids were analysed and 27% of the total extract comprised phosphatidylethanolamine as the major component. The predominant cellular fatty acids were branched-chain saturated and unsaturated [i-C15:0, i-C15:1, a-C15:0, C15:0, C16:1(n-7)]. The DNA base composition was 37.5--38.2 mol% G+C. The level of DNA homology of the five isolates was 83--94%, indicating that these isolates belong to the same species. A 16S rDNA sequence of the type strain KMM 426(T) was determined and phylogenetic analysis, based on neighbour-joining and Fitch--Margoliash methods, revealed that the type strain formed a distinct phyletic line in a clade corresponding to the family Flavobacteriaceae and represented a new genus. From the results of this polyphasic taxonomic analysis, it is proposed that the bacterial strains be classified in a new genus, Arenibacter gen. nov., and species, Arenibacter latericius sp. nov. The type strain is KMM 426(T) (VKM B 2137D(T)=LMG 19694(T)=CIP 106861(T)).
- Publication type
- Journal article
- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, Vol. 51, no. 6 (2001), pp. 1987-1995
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0603 Evolutionary Biology; 0605 Microbiology; 1108 Medical Microbiology
- Flavobacteriaceae; Arenibacter latericius
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2001 IUMS.
- Peer reviewed