Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/5450
|Download PDF (Author's final draft) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Gemini/GMOS spectra of globular clusters in the Virgo giant elliptical NGC 4649
- Pierce, Michael; Bridges, Terry; Forbes, Duncan A.; Proctor, Robert; Beasley, Michael A.; Gebhardt, Karl; Faifer, Favio R.; Forte, Juan C.; Zepf, Stephen E.; Sharpies, Ray; Hanes, David A.
- NGC 4649 (M60) is one of a handful of giant Virgo ellipticals. We have obtained Gemini/GMOS (Gemini North Multi-Object Spectrograph) spectra for 38 globular clusters (GCs) associated with this galaxy. Applying the multi-index x2 minimization technique of Proctor and Sansom with the single stellar population models of Thomas, Maraston and Korn, we derive ages, metallicities and α-element abundance ratios. We find several young (2-3 Gyr old) supersolar metallicity GCs, while the majority are old (>10 Gyr), spanning a range of metallicities from solar to [Z/H] = -2. At least two of these young GCs are at large projected radii of 17-20 kpc. The galaxy itself shows no obvious signs of a recent starburst, interaction or merger. A trend of decreasing α-element ratio with increasing metallicity is found.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 368, no. 1 (2006), p. 325-334
- Publication year
- Galaxies; NGC 4649; Galaxy star clusters; Globular clusters
- Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 Royal Astronomical Society. Author's final draft reproduced here on 08 January 2009 in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed