Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Characterization of unusual alkaliphilic gram-positive bacteria isolated from degraded brown alga thalluses
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/5664
- Characterization of unusual alkaliphilic gram-positive bacteria isolated from degraded brown alga thalluses
- Ivanova, Elena P.; Wright, Jonathan P.; Lysenko, Anatoly M.; Zhukova, Natalia V.; Alexeeva, Yulia V.; Buljan, Vlado; Kalinovskaya, Nataliya I.; Nicolau, Dan V.; Christen, Richard; Mikhailov, Valery V.
- Two orange-pigmented Gram-positive, aerobic bacteria were isolated from enrichment culture during degradation of brown alga Fucus evanescens thalluses. In this work, atomic force microscopy (AFM) has been used to study the cell morphology. The non-contact mode imaging revealed unusual irregular coccoid shape of cells, possessing a single flagellum. Bacteria produced carotenoid pigments, were chemo-organotrophic, alkaliphilic and halo-tolerant growing well on nutrient media containing up to 15% NaCl. Growth temperature ranged from 5 to 45 degrees C. The DNA base compositions were 48 mol% G + C and the level of DNA similarity of two strains was conspecific (98%). A comparative phylogenetic analysis of 16S rRNA gene sequences revealed that the strain KMM 3738 tightly clustered with recently described Planococcus maritimus (99.9% 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity). DNA-DNA hybridisation experiments revealed that DNA from the KMM 3738 showed 12-15% and 16-35% of genetic relatedness with the DNA of type strains of the genera Planomicrobium and Planococcus, respectively, and 87% with DNA from Planococcus maritimus, indicating that new isolates belong to the later species.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences. Environment and Biotechnology Centre
- Mikrobiolohichnyi zhurnal, Vol. 68, no. 4 (2006), p. 10-20
- Publication year
- Bacterial typing techniques; DNA; Bacterial analysis; Fucus; Microbiology; Gram-positive bacteria; Genetics; Isolation; Purification; Ultrastructure; Microscopy; Electron; Transmission; Phylogeny; RNA; Ribosomal; 16S
- Naukova Dumka
- Peer reviewed