Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/25059
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 328 KB)|
- Calibration of a single-atom detector for atomic microchips
- Stibor, A.; Kraft, S.; Campey, T.; Komma, D.; Guenther, A.; Fortagh, J.; Vale, C. J.; Rubinsztein-Dunlop, H.; Zimmermann, C.
- We experimentally investigate a scheme for detecting single atoms magnetically trapped on an atom chip. The detector is based on the photoionization of atoms and the subsequent detection of the generated ions. We describe the characterization of the ion detector with emphasis on its calibration via the correlation of ions with simultaneously generated electrons. A detection efficiency of 47.8±2.6% is measured, which is useful for single-atom detection, and close to the limit allowing atom counting with sub-Poissonian uncertainty.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 76, no. 3 (Sep 2007), article no. 033614
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences
- Atom optics; Calibration; Particle detectors; Particle traps; Photoionisation
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 The American Physical Society. The accepted manuscript is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed