Home List of Titles Single motherhood versus poor partner relationship : outcomes for antenatal mental health
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/30125
- Single motherhood versus poor partner relationship : outcomes for antenatal mental health
- Bilszta, Justin L. C.; Tang, Melissa; Meyer, Denny; Milgrom, Jeannette; Ericksen, Jennifer; Buist, Anne E.
- In the transition to parenthood, lack of social support has a significant impact on maternal mood. This paper compares the influence of single mother status and level of partner support in a partnered relationship on antenatal emotional health. Antenatal demographic, psychosocial and mental health data were collected from 1,578 women. The association between these variables, and marital status, was investigated using logistic regression. Elevated scores on the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) were found in 15.2 per cent of the total cohort and 25.8 per cent of the unpartnered women. EPDS scores were significantly lower for unpartnered women than for women with unsupportive partners. Compared to the partnered cohort, unpartnered women were more likely to have experienced a period of depression before the current pregnancy, a previous psychopathology, emotional problems during the current pregnancy and major life events in the last year. The study concluded that women in partnered relationships with poor partner derived support were at an increased risk of elevated antenatal EPDS scores compared with unpartnered women. A previous history of depression and current emotional problems, rather than single mother status, were significant risk factors for elevated EPDS scores. The study reiterates the contribution of psychosocial risk factors as important mediators of antenatal emotional health. [Journal abstract, edited]
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences
- Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 42, no. 1 (2008), p. 56-65
- Publication year
- Antenatal; Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale; EPDS; Marital status; Mental depression; Pregnancy; Risk factors; Social support networks; Women
- Taylor & Francis
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.
- Peer reviewed