Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/39751
- Local XML functional dependencies
- Liu, Jixue; Vincent, Millist W.; Liu, Chengfei
- Keys and functional dependencies play a fundamental role in relational databases where they are used in integrity enforcement and in database design. Similarly, these constraints will play a fundamental role in XML and recently keys and functional dependencies in XML have been denned. In this paper we extend the previous definition of functional dependencies in XML to local functional dependencies in XML. Local functional dependencies (LFDs) are functional dependencies which hold only in a certain part of an XML document and not in the whole document. We also define, and prove correct, axioms for reasoning about the implication of LFDs in XML. Finally, we examine the relationship between LFDs and keys and show that the recently introduced concept of a relative key is a special case of a LFD.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Workshop on Web Information and Data Management (WIDM 2003), New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, 07-08 November 2003, pp. 23-28
- Publication year
- Conformal mapping; Data acquisition; Database design; Database systems; Extensible Markup Language; Functional dependencies; LFDs; Local functional dependency; Polynomials; Relational databases; Relative keys; Semantics; Systems analysis; Theorem proving; XML
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003 ACM.
- Peer reviewed