Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41596
- Elastic response of thermal spray deposits under indentation tests
- Leigh, Sang Ha; Lin, Chung Kwei; Berndt, C. C.
- The elastic response behavior of thermal spray deposits at Knoop indentations has been investigated using indentation techniques. The ratio of hardness to elastic modulus, which is an important prerequisite for the evaluation of indentation fracture toughness, is determined by measuring the elastic recovery of the in-surface dimensions of Knoop indentations. The elastic moduli of thermal spray deposits are in the range of 12%-78% of the comparable bulk materials and reveal the anisotropic behavior of thermal spray deposits. A variety of thermal spray deposits has been examined, including Al2O3, yttria-stabilized ZrO2 (YSZ), and NiAl. Statistical tools have been used to evaluate the error estimates of the data.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 80, no. 8 (Aug 1997), pp. 2093-2099
- Publication year
- Anisotropy; Elastic moduli; Error analysis; Fracture toughness; Knoop indentation tests; Statistical methods; Thermal spray deposits; YSZ; Yttria stabilized zirconia
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Peer reviewed