Home List of Titles Microstructural index to quantify thermal spray deposit microstructures using image analysis
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41676
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 2 MB)|
- Microstructural index to quantify thermal spray deposit microstructures using image analysis
- Montavon, Ghislain; Coddet, Christian; Berndt, C. C.; Leigh, Sang Ha
- The basic metallographic analysis leads to qualitative interpretation of the structural characteristics of a microstructure, for example the presence of phases, and the description of singularities such as inclusions. On the contrary, microstructural characterization which implements image analysis leads to a quantified analysis of structural characteristics. A method is described to assess thermal spray deposit microstructures using image analysis by means of a metallographic index. This index is based on the determination of several stereological and morphological parameters by primary referee to the size-shape distributions of the features, the fractal dimension of the deposit upper surface, and the Euclidean distance map of the bodies of interest. This work employs quantitative metallography on a much wider scale to provide better quality control of deposit microstructures.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 7, no. 2 (Jun 1998), pp. 229-241
- Publication year
- Deposition; Euclidean distance map; Fractal dimension; Fractals; Image analysis; Metallographic index; Metallographic microstructure; Morphology; Quality control; Quantitative metallography; Sprayed coatings; Stereology; Thermal spraying
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © ASM International 1998. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the journal.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed