Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Application of heat treat simulation in continuous improvement of product reliability
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41718
- Application of heat treat simulation in continuous improvement of product reliability
- Cai, Jun; Chuzhoy, Leo; Berndt, C. C.; Keil, Gernot; Burris, Kenneth W.; Taft, M.
- A heat treat simulation package called QSIM (Quench SIMulation), has been developed at Caterpillar for predicting microstructure evolution during heat treatment of steel and resultant hardness, distortion and residual stress. QSIM is used to model production problems in direct hardening and carburizing and hardening. The package accurately predicts temperatures, microstructure, distortions, and residual stress of steel components. QSIM is used at Caterpillar as an important tool for providing superior product quality. This paper briefly describes methodology used in QSIM. Then, the paper focuses on three case applications of QSIM to production problems. The first case deals with distortion problem of a large steel hub quenched in a die fixture. The second example illustrates how heat treat simulation is used to optimize residual stress pattern in a carburized and hardened ring gear. In the last case heat treat simulation was used to prevent tip flaking in a gear.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Heat Treating: Including Steel Heat Treating in the New Millennium: an International Symposium in Honor of Professor George Krauss: Proceedings of the 19th Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, 01-04 November 1999 / Sandra J. Midea and George D. Pfaffmann (eds.), pp. 299-306
- Publication year
- Carburizing; Caterpillar; Computer simulation; Die quenching technology; Finite element method; Gears; Grain size and shape; Hardness testing; Mathematical models; Microstructure; Quality assurance; QSIM; Quench SIMulation; Quenching; Residual stresses; Specific heat; Thermal strain; X-ray diffraction analysis
- ASM International
- 9780871706812, 0871706814
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2000 ASM International. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed