Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Influence of plasma spray parameters on mechanical properties of yttria stabilized zirconia coatings II: acoustic emission response
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41712
- Influence of plasma spray parameters on mechanical properties of yttria stabilized zirconia coatings II: acoustic emission response
- Kucuk, Ahmet; Berndt, Christopher C.; Senturk, Ufuk; Lima, Rogerio S.
- Yttria (8 wt.%) stabilized zirconia (YSZ) with a NiCrAlY bond coat was atmospherically plasma sprayed on mild steel substrates using various processing parameters including YSZ coating thickness, bond coat thickness, stand off distance, and substrate temperature. The cracking behavior of these coatings under four point bending load was examined using an acoustic emission (AE) recorder. The numbers of AE events exhibited during the elastic and plastic deformation of coatings were analyzed. Using multi-linear regression analysis, the number of AE events was correlated to the spray parameters. This analysis revealed that coatings with thicker YSZ top coat and NiCrYAl bond coat sprayed on a heated substrate at shorter stand off distance exhibited more AE activity and released higher AE energy under the bending. The greater emission activity and higher AE energy were evidence of severe cracking.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 284, no. 1-2 (May 2000), pp. 41-50
- Publication year
- Acoustic emission; Acoustic emission recorder; Acoustic emission testing; Bending (deformation); Carbon steel; Crack initiation; Cracking; Cracking behavior; Elasticity; Four point bending load; Heating; Inorganic coating; Plasma spray parameters; Plasma spraying; Plasma treatment; Plastic deformation; Regression analysis; Sprayed coatings; Substrates; Temperature; Thermal barrier coatings; YSZ; Yttria stabilized zirconia; Zirconia; Zirconium oxide
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2000 Elsevier Science S.A. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed