Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Correlation between deposition efficiency, hardness and elastic modulus for thermally sprayed zirconia
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41703
- Correlation between deposition efficiency, hardness and elastic modulus for thermally sprayed zirconia
- Lima, Rogerio S.; Kucuk, Ahmet; Berndt, C. C.
- Results concerning the relationship between deposition efficiency and mechanical properties with coating roughness are presented. A commercial partially stabilized zirconia powder was plasma sprayed at different power levels, H2/Ar ratio and spray distance. Coatings sprayed at high deposition efficiencies demonstrated improved mechanical properties. The deposition efficiency is also proportional to the coating roughness. When prepared with a high plasma power and a high H2/Ar ratio, and at short spray distances, these coatings exhibited the highest deposition efficiency and coating roughness. The high coating roughness associated with a high deposition efficiency arises because coarse powder particles are likely to be melted at higher plasma power. However, opposite trends were also observed within different regimes of powder size distribution and torch power. Another objective of this work was to demonstrate that a surface profilometer can be used to understand the deposition efficiency and mechanical properties of thermal spray coatings.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 1st International Thermal Spray Conference, 'Thermal spray surface engineering via applied research', Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 09-11 May 2000 / Christopher C. Berndt (ed.), pp. 1201-1205
- Publication year
- Correlation methods; DE; Deposition; Deposition efficiency; Elastic moduli; Mechanical Properties; Roughness; Microhardness; Nanostructured materials; Plasma applications; Quality control; Sprayed coatings; Substrates; Surface roughness; Thermal spray coatings; Zirconia
- ASM International
- 9780871706805, 0871706806
- Publisher URL
- Peer reviewed