Home List of Titles Influence of plasma spray parameters on formation and morphology of ZrO2-8 wt% Y2O3 deposits
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41729
- Influence of plasma spray parameters on formation and morphology of ZrO2-8 wt% Y2O3 deposits
- Kucuk, Ahmet; Lima, Rogerio S.; Berndt, C. C.
- Spray prints of thermal spray coatings were created on glass slides for air-plasma-sprayed 8-wt%-yttria-partially-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) deposits. The spray parameters such as carrier gas flow rate, standoff distance, and torch power were systematically changed to investigate the influence of these parameters on the YSZ deposit characteristics. The deposit properties such as deposition efficiency (DE), substrate coverage, deposit thickness, and roughness were measured. The deposits sprayed with a 3.5–4.0 L/min carrier gas flow rate at an 80 mm standoff distance exhibited higher values of DE within the range of studied process parameters. The DE increased as much as 25% by varying the carrier gas flow rate from 2.0 to 4.0 L/min. The deposits sprayed at a higher standoff distance and low torch power gave poor deposit characteristics. The deposit characteristics were compared with the in-flight particle parameters and revealed that the deposit characteristics strongly depended on the in-flight particle temperature. Using the in-flight particle properties, the flattening ratio and the splat thickness were calculated. The average size of particles adhering to the substrate was found to drastically change with a change of process conditions, being much less than the average size of the starting powder.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 84, no. 4 (Apr 2001), pp. 693-700
- Publication year
- Calculations; Carrier gas flow rate; Ceramic coatings; Deposition efficiency; Flow of fluids; Morphology; Plasma spraying; Standoff distance; Substrates; Surface roughness; Thermal spray coatings; Torch power; Yttria partially stabilized zirconia deposits; Yttrium compounds; Zirconia
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Additional information
- The authors gratefully acknowledge financial support from the National Science Foundation under NSF-MRSEC DNR Grant No. 9632570, and ONR Grant No. N00014-97-0843.
- Peer reviewed