Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Elastic modulus measurements of air plasma sprayed yttria partially stabilized zirconia coatings using laser ultrasonics and indentation techniques
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41742
- Elastic modulus measurements of air plasma sprayed yttria partially stabilized zirconia coatings using laser ultrasonics and indentation techniques
- Vasquez, D. L.; Kucuk, Ahmet; Lima, Rogerio S.; Senturk, Ufuk; Berndt, Christopher C.
- Yttria partially stabilized zirconia (YSZ) was atmosphere plasma sprayed on to mild steel substrates. The spray parameters were varied to determine their effects on the elastic modulus of the coating. The parameters were (i) continuous spray vs. paused spray, (ii) bond coat vs. no bond coat, and (iii) cooled vs. not-cooled. The elastic modulus was measured using laser ultrasonics and Knoop Indentation. Using indentation, the continuous/ paused spray exhibited the greatest effect with the paused spray samples having a lower elastic modulus value regardless of the condition of the other parameters. The other parameters did not reveal any statistically significant effect. The laser ultrasonics measurements showed that cooling and no-cooling had a greater effect on elastic modulus, with the other parameters having little effect. Laser ultrasonics detected parameters whose influence can be detected near the surface (in this work the cooling and no-cooling), but did not detect those parameters that influence the properties throughout the coating. Indentation detected the parameters that influence the properties throughout the coating, in this work continuous and paused spraying.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceedings of the 2nd International Thermal Spray Conference, 'Thermal spray 2001: new surfaces for a new millennium', Singapore, 28-30 May 2001 / Christopher C. Berndt, Khiam A. Khor and Erich F. Lugscheider (eds.), pp. 1045-1050
- Publication year
- Elastic moduli; Hardness; Laser applications; Laser ultrasonics; Plasma spraying; TBC; Thermal barrier coatings; Thermal expansion; Ultrasonics; YSZ; Yttrium compounds; Yttria partially stabilized zirconia; Zirconia
- ASM International
- 9780871707376, 0871707373
- Peer reviewed