Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Bimodal distribution of mechanical properties on plasma sprayed nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41758
- Bimodal distribution of mechanical properties on plasma sprayed nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia
- Lima, Rogerio S.; Kucuk, Ahmet; Berndt, C. C.
- The mechanical behavior of nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia (PSZ) coatings was evaluated via Knoop microhardness. The distribution of the microhardness values of the feedstock particles and coatings under a 10 g load were analyzed via Weibull statistics. The percentage of non-molten material was determined using scanning electron microcopy and image analysis. It was observed that the nanostructured coatings present a bimodal distribution in their Weibull plots, indicating the presence of two phases which are described as molten and non-molten. The presence of the bimodal distribution in the mechanical properties allows the prediction of microhardness values of these nanostructured coatings.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 327, no. 2 (Apr 2002), pp. 224-232
- Publication year
- Bimodal distributions; Image analysis; Mechanical properties; Microhardness; Nanostructure; Nanostructured coatings; Nanostructured materials; Partially stabilised zirconia; Plasma spraying; Plasma treatment; PSZ; Raw materials; Scanning electron microscopy; Sprayed coatings; Statistical methods; Thermal barrier coatings; Thermal spray; Weibull distribution; Zirconia; Zirconia-yttria
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed