Home List of Titles Bimodal distribution of mechanical properties on plasma sprayed nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41758
- Bimodal distribution of mechanical properties on plasma sprayed nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia
- Lima, Rogerio S.; Kucuk, Ahmet; Berndt, C. C.
- The mechanical behavior of nanostructured partially stabilized zirconia (PSZ) coatings was evaluated via Knoop microhardness. The distribution of the microhardness values of the feedstock particles and coatings under a 10 g load were analyzed via Weibull statistics. The percentage of non-molten material was determined using scanning electron microcopy and image analysis. It was observed that the nanostructured coatings present a bimodal distribution in their Weibull plots, indicating the presence of two phases which are described as molten and non-molten. The presence of the bimodal distribution in the mechanical properties allows the prediction of microhardness values of these nanostructured coatings.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 327, no. 2 (Apr 2002), pp. 224-232
- Publication year
- Bimodal distributions; Image analysis; Mechanical properties; Microhardness; Nanostructure; Nanostructured coatings; Nanostructured materials; Partially stabilised zirconia; Plasma spraying; Plasma treatment; PSZ; Raw materials; Scanning electron microscopy; Sprayed coatings; Statistical methods; Thermal barrier coatings; Thermal spray; Weibull distribution; Zirconia; Zirconia-yttria
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed