Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Nanophase partially stabilized zirconia intermediate layer for strain accommodation in a multi-layer thermal barrier coating
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41744
- Nanophase partially stabilized zirconia intermediate layer for strain accommodation in a multi-layer thermal barrier coating
- Guru, D. N.; Palacio, Manuel L B; Mook, William M.; Chambers, M. D.; Heberlein, Joachim V. R.; Gerberich, William W.; Racek, Ondrej; Berndt, C. C.
- Applying an environmental barrier coating (EBC) and a thermal barrier coating (TBC) on the next generation gas turbine structural materials such as silicon carbide matrix composites will lead to large stresses due to thermal expansion mismatch; thereby limiting the coating's effectiveness and lifetime. Nanostructured materials possess a large volume fraction of grain boundaries and are conjectured to partially relieve the strain in the coating structure. A Triple Torch Plasma Reactor (TTPR) was used to spray multi-layered TBCs consisting of a mullite EBC deposited either on a silicon carbide or a mullite substrate, a nano-phase partially stabilized zirconia coating (n-PSZ), and a yttria stabilized zirconia coating (YSZ) as the TBC. The nanostructure of the n-PSZ could be maintained during the deposition process. The coatings were heat treated at 1300°C and the change in microstructure and mechanical properties were analyzed using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), micro-indentation and scratch testing applied to the coating cross section. While a change in the microstructure was observed, in particular grain growth, the hardness and elastic modulus appeared to be little affected by the heat treatment giving a preliminary validation of the multilayer concept.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Thermal Spray 2004: Advances in technology and application: Proceedings of the International Thermal Spray Conference, Osaka, Japan, 10-12 May 2004, pp. 861-865
- Publication year
- Central injection probe; EBC; Environmental barrier coating; Grain boundaries; Image analysis; Microstructure; Multi-layered coatings; Nanostructured materials; Plasma torches; Scanning electron microscopy; SEM; Silicon carbide; TBC; Thermal barrier coatings; Thermal expansion; Triple Torch Plasma Reactor; TTPR; Zirconia
- ASM International
- 9780871708090, 0871708094
- Publisher URL
- Peer reviewed