Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/41762
- Image-based extended finite element modeling of thermal barrier coatings
- Michlik, Petr; Berndt, C. C.
- Further advances in Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) design are linked with the evolution of numerical models for TBCs. The present paper, therefore, enhances the idea of a currently available FEM package (0017) that has been designed for microstructural level simulations. The approach of Extended FEM (XFEM) is incorporated in an in-house developed program to account for the existence of cracks in TBCs; both for stress-strain analysis and for heat transfer analysis. The new XFEM program is then employed to carry out the analyses of a YSZ deposit and a multilayered TBC to predict the effective Young's moduli, the overall thermal conductivities, and to assess the fracture behavior of the coating.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol. 201, no. 6 (Dec 2006), pp. 2369-2380
- Publication year
- Angle neutron-scattering; Conductivity; Crack-growth; Deposits; Displacement; Elastic properties; Extended FEM; Extended finite element analysis; Fracture; Heat transfer analysis; Microstructural characterization; Microstructural level modeling; Residual-stresses; Sprayed zirconia coatings; Stabilized zirconia; TBCs; Thermal barrier coatings; Thermal conductivity; YSZ; Yttria partially stabilized zirconia deposits; XFEM
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2006 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed