Home List of Titles Activity completion duration based checkpoint selection for dynamic verification of temporal constraints in grid workflow systems
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/43183
- Activity completion duration based checkpoint selection for dynamic verification of temporal constraints in grid workflow systems
- Chen, Jinjun; Yang, Yun
- In grid workflow systems, to verify temporal constraints efficiently at the run-time execution stage, some checkpoints are selected such that temporal verification need only be conducted at those checkpoints rather than at all activity points. However, existing typical checkpoint selection strategies may ignore some necessary checkpoints and select some unnecessary ones. This eventually impacts overall temporal verification effectiveness and efficiency. To improve such status, in this paper, we develop a new checkpoint selection strategy. Specifically, we first investigate the relationships between activity completion duration and the consistency of temporal constraints. Then, based on those relationships we present our new checkpoint selection strategy. Our new strategy can avoid the omission of necessary checkpoints and the selection of excess unnecessary checkpoints. Consequently, it can achieve better temporal verification effectiveness and efficiency than the existing typical checkpoint selection strategies. The final comparison and quantitative evaluation further demonstrate this result.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies. Centre for Information Technology Research
- International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Vol. 22, no. 3 (2008), pp. 319-329
- Publication year
- Check point selection; Grid workflows; Temporal constraints; Temporal verification effectiveness; Temporal verification efficiency
- SAGE Publications
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 SAGE Publications.
- Peer reviewed